Bridge Of Douglas

also known as Douglas Water

The Bridge refers to an old bridge, commonly known as the Roman Bridge, due to its style, but its dates are unknown.

Location of one of the older schools (Old Schoolhouse of Lochnagour)
National Monument Record of Scotland for the area

  • NMRS No. NN00SE 37 records Inveraray Parochial School at Lagantour but gives no details of the site.
  • NMRS No. NN00SE 8 at NGR NN 072 032. Creggan – a hoard of 219 15th – 16th century low value coins of James III (1460-88) and James IV (1488-1513) were found in 1876 and given to the Exchequer.
  • NMRS No. NN00SE 26 at NN 0590 0481. Old Bridge of Douglas, Claonairigh, no further information or description.
  • NMRS No. NN00SE 40 at NGR NN 0589 0474. Claonairigh, Claonairi House, 18th century Laird’s House / Manager’s House, no further information or description.
  • NMRS No. NN00SE 41 at NGR NN 0588 0479. Claonairigh, Old Mill, woollen mill. No further information or description.

Lagantour School: p12 WOSAS survey in 2008

Two buildings are shown at the schoolhouse site. A long rectangular structure (longhouse), which appears to be roofed in 1874 and has a small unroofed structure associated with it is located at the W side of the area and has a track leading to it with various associated boundaries. This structure is shown as two smaller buildings in 1900 on the Second Edition suggesting the long house may have been partially demolished and remodelled (this was confirmed on the ground). The track that leads to this building has been realigned extended to the N along the W bank of Douglas Water. This building is located to the N of the upgraded track to the Pierse site compound and was not disturbed by the power station works. The lines of the tracks and the boundaries depicted on the 1874 First Edition map are still visible. The First Edition map of 1874 and the Second Edition map of 1900 both show an L shaped roofed building in a clearly delineated rectangular plot which is identified as a school. This L shaped building is present and inhabited today. The long house and its later form of a smaller house on some of the same footprint were confirmed on the ground.
In summary the map analysis suggests that by the 1870s the shieling huts were disused and probably already quite denuded and overgrown with little showing at ground level.

The mill being located about 70m south at Clunary

Statistical Account of Account of 1791-99 vol.5 Inveraray p297

and, about the year 1776, the present Duke first established an woollen manufacture, having, at very considerable expence, biuld houses, erected machinery, and provided every material necessary for carrying it on successfully, at the water of Douglas. At the same time, his Grace, as an additional encouragement, gave the farm upon which the factory was built, at a very low rent, took some shares in the concern, and did everything in his power, to insure success to so patriotic an undertaking.
The plan was also seconded by many gentlemen of the county, who advanced money to the manufacturer at 2.5 per cent interest. Notwithstanding which, and, that his Grace gave the use of the whole buildings nad utensils gratis, the business was not conducted with advantage. It is still, however, carried on.
(paragraph continues describing the issue of lack of spinners — see separate page here)

Report on Archaeological Survey and Excavation of Douglas Water by WOSAS in 2008 - much detail of the sheilings