also known as

  • Clonarie
  • Clonary
  • Claonairigh
  • Claonairi

The literal translation for "claon-àirigh" means "squint-sheiling" - maybe Sloping Pasture is a kinder interpretation ?
(and just beside Bridge of Douglas - and records often slide between one and the other

image from local blog
and you can stay at Claonairigh B&B

There is a "Roman Bridge" at Douglas Water on Clunaray lands (Bridge of Douglas is about 70m north of the Clunary house) - but that is a description of the bridge, the date of building is unknown

National Monument Record of Scotland for the area

  • NMRS No. NN00SE 37 records Inveraray Parochial School at Lagantour but gives no details of the site.
  • NMRS No. NN00SE 8 at NGR NN 072 032. Creggan – a hoard of 219 15th – 16th century low value coins of James III (1460-88) and James IV (1488-1513) were found in 1876 and given to the Exchequer.
  • NMRS No. NN00SE 26 at NN 0590 0481. Old Bridge of Douglas, Claonairigh, no further information or description.
  • NMRS No. NN00SE 40 at NGR NN 0589 0474. Claonairigh, Claonairi House, 18th century Laird’s House / Manager’s House, no further information or description.
  • NMRS No. NN00SE 41 at NGR NN 0588 0479. Claonairigh, Old Mill, woollen mill. No further information or description.

Argyll Rentals 1636 - 1693

  • Mr Patrick Campbell.
    • 1650, lands of Clonarie and Auchindryen valued at £27.
    • 1666 £75. 3s. 8d. part payment from John Guile in the name of Mr Campbell of rent of Clonarie and Achindryan.
    • 12/08/1687 : Rental of Jean Campbell and Mr Patrick Campbell, minister of Killmalew - Rent of Clunarie: £66. 13s. 4d1

1700s :
the site of the Weaving Mill created by the Duke of Argyll in 1777-8. This might well have been both linen AND wool at various times.
Linen was grown in the area, and the raw materials brought in, but local manufacturer was overtaken by cheaper and finer imported cloth
By the late 1700's the spinning schools that had been set up in Inveraray had been closed.

few mills survive2
Almost all are ruinous or converted to other uses. Factory Land, Inveraray, originally a large upper workroom with eight workers houses below, was established by the 5th Duke of Argyll as a spinning factory in 1774. It was soon, however, in residential use, for in 1777 operations were transferred to Clunaray, (Claonairigh) on the Douglas Water, near Auchindrain. This more ambitious factory, built 1777-8 but now in ruins, comprised a number of buildings including a fulling-mill, dye-house, combing shop, a weaving house and several cottage. It continued making cloth and, later, carpets until 1809.

Archetypal three-bay, two storey, gable-ended house with lower peinded wings; probably late C18. No skews, no quoins, no margins: ascetic vernacular virtue. To the N, by Douglas Water, is a ruined MILL and W, the rubble shells of weavers's cottages. This is all that remains of the carpet and woollen industry established at "Clunary" in 1776 by the 5th Duke of Argyll. A 'factory house', fulling-mill, dye-house, comb-shop, press house, weaving house, store and 'writing-room' were built, 1777-8, by masons John Moodie and Robert Alexander. Over a hundred were employed, but the enterprise foundered and by 1809 production has ceased.

In 1792 most of the women of Glenaray refused the Duke's orders to spin, except a few like the widow McCosham of Auchindrain !
Archibald McNab was running the mill and passed this message to the women of the Glen :

Inveraray 15th March 1792
His Grace the Duke of Argyll desire that the Women of every family,tenant.cottar and labourer,upon his estate under my charge be required to spin each family six stones of wool betwixt this candlemass next1793 at the prices paid in Glasgow for such work to be allowed them out of their Rents and that lists to be laid before His Grace of such as have complied and of those who have failed which Mr McNab will take the earliest opportunity of intimating to the families mentioned in the preceeding lists ..

This was ‎84lbs of wool from each woman - this would have been 42 weeks work according to John Mercer's reference4 : "(Domestic)spindle spinners only did a couple of pounds (of wool) in a 70 hour week.Wheel spinners in the more advanced zones of the Scottish Highlands were left 3lbs of wool a week each by the merchants. The last Harris Tweed spinners reached a pound a day" . the women refused, because they did not have the time from the important work of cutting and storing peats so they could all be warm and dry through the winter.. It was a matter of priorities.

part of the records to be transcribed .. will be very useful in identifying the people of the glen.. (if anyone has other records of other townships it would be great to add)
Argyll and Bute Archive record :
FH193 List of Women in INVERARAY and GLENARAY who in the opinion of Archibald McNab ought to be employed in the spinning of wool 1792

There is a note down left hand side of list the whole of Achindrain people refuses accept widow McCoshain
Jennet Mac wife of Duncan Munro refuses
Betty Munro wife of John Ferguson refuses
Jennet McVicar wife of Martin Munro refuses
Catherine Walker wife of Peter Munro refuses
Christian Mckellar family refuses
Mary McCoshain widow
Catherine Sinclair wife of Duncan Munro
Isabel Ferguson wife of Peter Campbell
Mary Munro wife of Duncan Munro
Catherine McArthur wife of Donald Mcnichol

image of the mill from Claonairigh B&B

Transactions of the Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland: On the Agriculture of the County of Argyll, By Duncan Clerk, Writer, Oban; late 1870s.

Loch Fyne Side.
Following Loch Fyne towards Inverary there is good land to be seen, some under crop and some under pasture. On the Cumlodden estate there is the large tenement of Goatfield and Gallanach, possessed by Mr John Horsburgh; rent, £350. He keeps a large number of sheep, all ewes, and a dairy stock; the milk—the sale of which always pays well—is in demand for the quarriers at the granite quarries. Mr Horsburgh tried shorthorn bulls for crosses, but now keeps Ayrshire bulls.

On the Duke of Argyll's estate are the farms of Brenchoilly and Braleckan, possessed by Dr Campbell and C. Brown; rent of the one £365, and of the other £150. The sheep, a mixed stock, is very good. The cattle kept are a few cows and flying stock, chiefly stots. Killean is possessed by Mr James M'Kay; rent, £269. The stock kept is of the same description as the last mentioned, and is well managed. Clonary, rented by Mr Mel M'Kechnie, Dunoon; rent, £124. Stock all sheep.

The lands about Inverary are in a high state of cultivation and the soil is moderately good. The policies and grounds near the castle, and the splendid avenues and plantations are too well known to require any description here. Glenary is chiefly under wood, and part of it preserved for game, but there is some cultivated land at Stronmagachan and Tullich of fairish quality. The top of the glen is an excellent moor for grouse. Ardbrecknish, or Rockhill, marches with this park of the ducal estate, and the place was long known for its excellent fold of Highland cattle. It now belongs to Mr Thorpe and his tenants. The Messrs M'Callum keep a sheep stock, along with a few cows. The rent is £150.

People of Clunary

census records

1871 in the Ploughmans cottage
Donald McPhail head married 54 Ploughman born in Ardnamurchan
Flora McPhail wife married 40 wife born in Kilninver
Nancy McPhail daur 13 born in Inveraray
Colin McPhail son 9 born in Inveraray
Donald McPhail son 7 born in Inveraray
Neil McPhail son 6 born in Inveraray
Margaret McPhail daur 3 born in Inveraray
Archibald McPhail son 1 born in Inveraray

1881 in the Shepherds cottage, Glenaray
Donald McPhail 66 (abt 1815) Shepherd, born in Kilchoan
Flora McPhail 53 (abt 1828) shepherds wife, born in Kilninver
Colin McPhail 19 (abt 1862), (late) Ploughman, Inveraray
Donald McPhail 17 (abt 1864) scholar, Inveraray
Neil McPhail 16 (abt 1865, scholar, Inveraray
Margaret McPhail 14 (abt 1867) Scholar, Inveraray
Archibald McPhail 11 (abt 1870) Scholar, Inveraray