Early 1700s

ownership of Auchindrain

  • 1705 : residents .. from baptism of John McPhaiden father John McPhaiden, witnesses = Patrick Crawford and Alexander Campbell
  • 1714 - 1754 freehold owned by Clerks of Braleckan ( RCAHMS inventory )
  • sold to James MacPhun of Claonairigh
  • 1766 sold to Duke of Argyll

1700's - local lore suggests that the Munro's are brought in from North Scotland by the Duke of Argyll - why ? they seem to be here before the Castle is being built. There are Munro's on a baptism registration of 1705 and plenty in the parish : - Inveraray Munros 1500 - 18001 - further research now suggests that the Lochfyne Munro's have been here for several centuries earlier. It may be that DNA gives us the connections to other Munro lineages.

On the 21 June 1701 the 9th Earl's son was created Duke of Argyll, Marquess of Kintyre and Lorne, Earl of Campbell and Cowal, Viscount of Lochow and Glenyla, Lord Inveraray, Mull, Morvern, and Tiree for his services to William of Orange.

18 May 1703 John son to Duncan Ferguson and Mary NcChristal
???? born in Auchindrayn, ???? was baptized
Wllm Macphadzean and Duncan MacNokaird witnesses
(missing a few words on this transcription - can you help?)

September 25, 1703
First Duke of Argyll died in Cherton House, Newcastle-Upon, Tyne, Northumberland, England2

residents .. from baptism of John McPhaiden father John McPhaiden, witnesses = Patrick Crawford and Alexander Campbell

1710 (11 February)
- "Charter of Confirmation" from the Duke of Argyll grants Clunaray and Auchendrain to Niall Campbell, Principal of Glasgow University (1728-1761).3

22 August 1722

Elizabeth daughter to Donald Walker in Auchindrein and Mary McBrein his spouse was baptized4

27 January 1723

Cathrin daughter to Andrew Murray in Auchindreyn & Keathrin McNaughton his spouse was baptized5

27 February 1726

Mary daughter to Donald Walker in Auchindrein and Mary McBrein his spouse was baptized6

4 February 1733

Sophia daughter to Andrew Murray in Auchindrein & Cathrin McNachtan was baptized7

25 February 1733

Cathrin daughter to John McFaidan in Auchindrein & Cathrin Campbell was baptized8

1743 Lord Islay succeeds his brother to become 3rd Duke of Argyll.9

23rd June 1746

Mary daughter lawful to James Fisher & Euphemia Walker in Achindrein was baptized10

18th January 1749

Margaret daughter lawful to Alexander McIlvoil and Jannet McIlvory in Achindrein was baptized11

- Cheese making at Auchindrain.
According to the Scottish Dairy Association (SDA), "a supply of 'vells' was part of the [Auchindrain] tenancy, clearly implying that cheese could have been made by the landlord [the 3rd Duke of Argyll]."12

abt 1744 Patrick (Peter) Campbell Born


Jacobite Uprising of 1745, during which the Third Duke of Argyll supports the government against Charles Edward Stuart, aka The Young Pretender and Bonnie Prince Charlie.13

16 April 1746 - Culloden, Jacobites defeated, last battle on British soil

1748 linen manufacture introduced into the parish (WHERE ?)

Manufactures - Archibald Duke of Argyll, about the year 1748, introduced the linen manufacture into this parish, which has since been attended with beneficial consequences to the country;14

Circa 1750 - Duncan CAMPBELL and Mary McINTYRE move to Auchindrain from Bridgend, Inveraray, about the time that the New Town of Inveraray is constructed by the 5th Duke of Argyll.
Extracts from research by Duncan Beaton of Huston, Renfrewshire, in 1985.
(Beaton is now Scottish Contributing Editor for the Journal of the Clan Campbell Society North America.)

Valuation Roll 1751

NAS, E106/3/2, p.5 “Auchindryen in Parish of Kilmaliew or Glenaray £8.5s.4d. - property of Dugald Clerk of Braleckan.”
Argyll Estate Records, Land Ownership Records, (unnumbered), transcribed, held in file.


7 Feb 1752
CH2/663/17 Inveraray Kirk Accounts 1739-1800
Pg 18 7 Feb 1752 –
With John Sinclair in Auchindryen his bill for fornication for himself and the woman he fell with.16

FH13: Rental of the Lands belonging to Dugald Clerk of Braleckan, 1752

  • Archibald McIlvory pays one quarter per tack (Archibald McIlvoy)

* Silver rent £40-0sh-0d Scots
* One Stone of Butter or £4-0-0
* One two year old wedder £2-0-0
* Six poultry & 6 dozen of eggs or £1-13-0
* One veal or £0-18-0
* £48-11-0

  • Alexr McPhaidan & his mother pay for one quarter per tack as above £48-11-0 (Alexander McFadyen)
  • John McKellar pays for half a quarter of Tack
  • Of Silver Rent £20-0-0
    • Half a stone Butter or £2-0-0
    • One two year old wedder or £2-0-0
    • Three poultry & 3 dozen eggs £0-16-6
    • For half a veal £0-9-0
      • £25-5-6
  • Alex McIlvoile pays of tack for an other half quarter thereof £25-5-6
  • Dugald McPhaidan pays for ½ a quarter of tack £25-5-6 (MacFadyen)
  • John McNokaird pays for ½ a quarter of tack £25-5-6 (Sinclair)
  • John McPhaidan pays for the Croft of
  • Silver Rent of Tack £10-0-0
    • One two year old wedder £2-0-0
    • Four poultry & four dozen eggs or £1-2-0
  • £13-2-0

Deduct the ffeu dutys of Auchindryen £78-10-0

NB Auchindryen tennants pay 480 loads peats valued in their Tacks at 2 pence Ster each load which is not Rent alled.

?has the township changes hands — these are in the Duke papers ??
yet it belongs to McPhun in 1766 when his estate sells it to the Duke ??

from type written notes in ACHDN archives
Auchindrain - Rental paid to estate in 1754
(from Argyll Estates paper found by E.R.Cregeen, 1967)

Silver Rent ………………………………..£170,-.-
By 4 Stone Butter @ £4………………………. 16.- . -
4 Veals @ 18/- ……………………………. 3.12. - (Calves)
7 2- year-old Wedders @ £2 ……………….. 14.- . -
28 dozen poultry and 28 dozen eggs @ 5/6d ……. 7.14. -
24 score loads peat @ 1/- …………………. 24.-.-
Total ( £ Scots) £235.6.-18

1754 is also the year that the Iron works were established by the Argyll Furnace company, just a few miles south east of Auchindrain.
The ore was imported from the west of England and smelted using the charcoal made from the surrounding woodlands belonging to the Duke of Argyll

go to 1760 s

Seven Years War between Britain and France - 1756-1763 - how many went / how many came home?

The New Town of Inveraray was built between 1753 and 1776. This is one of earliest planned towns in Scotland.. still very well preserved.
The Old Town, already 300 years old, had a church, tolbooth, school, many substantial houses and 43 taverns.
The first house was built in 1753. Over the next 23 years the town gradually took shape.
In 1776 the last of the houses in the Old Town were demolished and all traces of the once flourishing Royal Burgh disappeared.
This image and information from visit-inveraray.co.uk website